How does Tillamook PUD read my meter?
Tillamook PUD utilizes Power Line Carrier (PLC) technology to communicate with its meters. This technology passes energy usage data back to the utility along existing power lines through a secure transmission without sending a meter reader to the service location. It is still important, however, that meters be accessible and hazard-free for maintenance and inspection purposes.
What is a smart meter?
A smart meter is an advanced digital electric meter that records energy consumption in time intervals. It then transmits this information back to the utility.
What are the benefits of using smart meter technology?
– improved reliability as system planners have a more accurate perspective on energy demands throughout the county
– increased efficiency by helping Tillamook PUD pinpoint power outages and confirm power restoration
– enriched customer service when customers call in with questions regarding their monthly bills
– better management of overall energy costs and ability to plan for future needs
– savings on fuel and vehicle maintenance costs, as well as lowered emissions released into the environment
– improved accuracy for billing purposes
– ability for customers to view their energy consumption and control their own energy costs
How accurate are smart meters?
All smart meters are certified, conform to, and often exceed American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards for meter accuracy and performance. To ensure the meters are as accurate as possible, they are subjected to strict design standards when they are manufactured. Tillamook PUD also tests meters before putting them into service to confirm accurate operation.
Does a smart meter monitor personal activities/occupancy inside a home?
No. Smart meters record energy usage data. They are not surveillance devices and have no photo or video capabilities. Tillamook PUD cannot use this data to determine what a customer is doing inside a home.
Do smart meters transmit any personally identifiable information?
No. Smart meters only send a meter number and associated readings back to the utility. The information Tillamook PUD receives from these meters is secure, confidential, and used only for business purposes.