A smart meter is an advanced digital electric meter that records energy consumption in time intervals. It then transmits this information back to the utility.
- improved reliability as system planners have a more accurate perspective on energy demands throughout the county
- increased efficiency by helping Tillamook PUD pinpoint power outages and confirm power restoration
- enriched customer service when customers call in with questions regarding their monthly bills
- better management of overall energy costs and ability to plan for future needs
- savings on fuel and vehicle maintenance costs, as well as lowered emissions released into the environment
- improved accuracy for billing purposes
- ability for customers to view their energy consumption and control their own energy costs
No. Smart meters record energy usage data. They are not surveillance devices and have no photo or video capabilities. Tillamook PUD cannot use this data to determine what a customer is doing inside a home.